Even though TWBL launched in 2019, we've been in the wig industry, making wigs since 2012. The game has changed a lot since then but the basics of wig making are still more or less the same. Below we've shared a few tips and tricks we've learnt along the way.
Step 1. ’The Cap’
- Choose a stretchy, ventilated, adjustable cap. We like the stretchable weaving cap by magic collection. They fit a small to medium head size and can be found on Amazon or at most black hair shops.
Step 2. ’The Foundation’ ⠀
- To avoid bulky foundations, double the wefts at the back only and use single wefts at the top/for rest of the wig. This saves you a little time and gives you a full look without the bulky finish. #TWBLTIP If you've got a small head, 2 1/2 bundles is usually enough for a full wig. For short hairstyles, 2 bundles are good 👌🏾. ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Step 3. ’The Knots’
- Remember to bleach and tone your knots for a natural look. There's a step by step video on how to do this on our website. thewigbarlondon.com.
Step 4. ’ The Customisation ’
- After washing & conditioning your freshly made wig. Whilst it's damp, create and tweeze your parting, then customise your hairline. We find it's easier to do this when the hair is wet as the knots loosen a little. #TWBLTIP For a flat base, cover your wig with a headscarf then let it set and dry.
Step 5. ’The Style’ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
- Now you're ready to style your new wig however you want. #TWBLTIP Use heat protectant spray on each section before styling, it really does help. Finish the look with some argan oil. ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
We hope you found our tips useful! 💕